Success for USA Triathlon in London
08 August 2011
Following their training camp at Surrey Sports Park last week two triathletes have secured a place in next year’s London 2012 Olympic Games.
Gwen Jorgensen pulled off a shock result coming 2nd in the women’s elite event with a time of 2 hours 41 seconds, just 7 seconds off the pace of race winner Helen Jenkins (GBR). Sarah Groff also secured a place in the US team next summer with a 7th place finish in 2 hours 58 seconds.
In the men’s event Manuel Huerta lead the US pack in 25th, followed by Matt Chrabot in 42nd. Hunter Kemper (stomach illness) and Jarrod Shoemaker (bike accident) both failed to finish. With the criteria being a top 9 finish in the race to qualify for London 2012 no male triathletes secured themselves spots in the team.
The race proved to be an excellent test ahead London 2012, with the course being the proposed route for the Olympic Games’ competition.
1. Helen Jenkins (GBR) 02:00:34
2. Gwen Jorgensen (USA) 02:00:41
3. Anja Dittmer (GER) 02:00:49
7. Sarah Groff (USA) 02:00:58
24. Laura Bennett (USA) 02:02:19
34. Sarah Haskins (USA) 02:02:45
51. Jillian Peterson (USA) 02:05:17
1. Alistar Brownlee (GBR) 01:50:09
2. Alexander Brukhankov (RUS) 01:50:34
3. Jonathan Brownlee (GBR) 01:51:04
25. Manuel Huerta (USA) 01:52:30
42. Matt Chrabot (USA) 01:53:20
DNF Hunter Kempter (USA)
DNF Jarrod Shoemaker (USA)
Photo: Gwen Jorgensen celebrates her 2nd place finish (courtesy: Competitive Image)